Golden Berries are low in sugar and packed with nutrients and antioxidants, making them a great snack or ingredient in salads, baked goods and more. Their sweet tart flavor pairs perfectly with the earthiness of beets and this salad’s sweet sauce, made with orange juice and maple syrup. Enjoy on a crisp, cool day as a side or the main course.
- 4 large golden beets, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked as per package instructions
- 1 cup (1 package) Fruit Bliss® Peruvian Golden Berries
- 3 large oranges
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the oven to 400˚F. Place the beets in a small roasting pan, side by side, and put ½ inch water at the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and place in the oven. Roast for about an hour, until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven, discard the water, and let the beets rest until cool enough to handle. Peel the beets, dice them, and transfer them to a large bowl.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the quinoa, according to package directions.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining the zest and juice of one orange, the white wine vinegar, the maple syrup, the garlic, the Dijon mustard, the salt and pepper, and olive oil in a jar. Shake well. Alternatively, whisk in a medium bowl.
- Cut and add the segments of the two leftover oranges to the large bowl with the beets. Add the cooked quinoa, the mint, and the golden berries. Mix well. Add vinaigrette to taste. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Garnish with more fresh mint and serve.