Thank you to Sunkissed Kitchen for this healthy gluten free almond flour cake with orange zest and dried Fruit Bliss Figs, topped with a refined sugar free meringue frosting!
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 50 minutes
- Total Time1 hour 5 minutes
- Servings 12
- Calories 216kcal
- Author Michelle
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 ounces Fruit Bliss Turkish Figs chopped in raisin-sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Use coconut oil to grease 2 6 inch cake pans, or a 10 inch round cake pan. Dust the cake pans with arrowroot powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together egg yolks, coconut oil, honey, almond milk, orange zest, and almond extract.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until no dry flour remains.
- Gently fold in the egg whites and chopped figs until the whites are incorporated into the batter.
- Add cake batter to the prepared pans, and bake for 50 minutes, until the cakes are fully set in the center. The cakes may appear done at 40 minutes, but continue baking for at least 50 minutes to ensure they aren't undercooked in the center.
- Serve this cake plain, or frost it with my refined sugar free meringue frosting.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 247mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2.1% | Vitamin C: 2.7% | Calcium: 8.7% | Iron: 7.5%