Happy National Donut Day! We love this healthier Gluten Free Donuts recipe made with almond flour and coconut flour from Sunkissed Kitchen. These easy to make baked donuts are made special with a dark chocolate or white chocolate glaze, and lots of delicious and fun toppings like our organic rehydrated fruit.
Instead of powdered sugar glazes, she used chocolate “fudge” glazes – melted chocolate chips, along with coconut oil and nut butter to make the chocolate fudgy and chewy, rather than hard.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 31 minutes
Servings: 8 donuts
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil melted and warmed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or sub honey
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
Dark or White Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or white chocolate
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon nut butter almond, sunflower, or cashew
- Fruit Bliss Organic Tart Cherries
- Fruit Bliss Organic Dried Figs
- nuts chopped
- toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Warming the coconut oil helps to keep the batter smooth. In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and eggs, and whisk until well combined. Add coconut flour, baking soda, and salt, and continue whisking until there are no clumps left from the coconut flour.
- Add the almond flour and mix in until just combined.
- Spray a donut pan with coconut or avocado oil spray.
- Add the donut batter to a large plastic bag and snip a 3/4 in hole in the corner to use a piping bag. Pipe the batter into the donut pan. This can be done with a spoon, but I think it's easier to pipe it in since the batter will be thick.
- Bake donuts for 16 minutes. Allow to cool before glazing and decorating.
- Melt either dark chocolate or white chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stovetop using a double boiler. Stir in 1 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of nut butter. If the mixture is too thin, add an extra 1 tablespoon of nut butter. If the mixture is too thick, add an additional 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Dip each donut top side down into the glaze, and then pull out and set on a rack.
- Before the glaze sets, decorate with toasted coconut, chopped nuts, and Fruit Bliss organic dried fruits.